Top
Home - Boats - Depot Ships - Forth

1938 - 1978: Forth (F04)

Built By: John Brown and Co (Cylde)
Fate: Placed on disposal list in May 1978 and scrapped on 25 July 1985.

Served with the 2nd Submarine flotilla 1939 - 1941. Based in home waters apart from a brief period in Halifax, Canada in 1941

Transferred in 1941 till the end of WWII to the 3rd Submarine Flotilla and stayed in service well into the 60's

Provided relief for Greek Earthquake victims in 1953

HQ of Naval Officer-in-Charge, Port Said during the Suez crisis in 1956

Returned to Devonport ct 1960 after nearly thirteen years in the Med as Sub & Minesweeper Depot Ship

1962-1966: Reconstructed at Chatham to support Nuclear Subs

In February 1972 was renamed Defiance.

Placed on disposal list May 1978


Events

30-06-1937 : Laid down
11-08-1938 : Launched
14-05-1939 : Commissioned
31-03-1971 : Left Singapore for the UK
07-06-1971 : Arrived at Devonport after five years at Singapore with 7th Sub Sqdn
07-06-1971 : She arrived back in the UK from Singapore
17-02-1972 : Renamed Defiance, depot Ship of Devonport Fleet Maintenance Base and parent ship of 2nd Sub Sqdn
25-07-1985 : Scrapped


0 comments

These comments are not routinely monitored. If you wish to ask a question or otherwise contact the Branch or the Webmaster. Please use the Contact Us page.

Please insert the result of the arithmetical operation from the following image:

Please insert the result of the arithmetical operation from this image. =

Note: All submissions are subject to webmaster approval prior to appearing on the page.

1937 - 1978: Maidstone (F44)1940 - 1970: Adamant (F64)