Built By: Vickers (Barrow)
Build Group: E Group 3ML
Fate: E24 sailed from Harwich on Tuesday 21 March 1916 with orders to carry out a Mine Laying Operation in the Heligoland Bight. The Submarine did not return from this operation and is assumed to have been mined on or about Friday 24 March 1916.

Upload An Image Of This Boat

The wreck of E24 was mistakenly salvaged in 1973 and inspection of the hull confirmed mine damage. The CWGC Records indicate that the remains of twenty five submariners were recovered from the wreck of E24 and that, in July 1973, these remains were subsequently buried in the Hamburg Cemetery.

Examination of the submarine confirmed the mine-tubes were empty and that it was most likely that E24 was sunk by a German minefield.

Submarine E24 is commemorated on a memorial in the Churchyard at Sullington in Sussex.

Roll of Honour

Name Rank Number Hons Age
Bastarrechea, Isaac  Engine Room Artificer 2nd Class  271517    34
At birth Bass, Isaac but served as Basstarrechea, Isaac
Bennett, William  Leading Stoker  K 11735    27
Bibbey, Harry Lace  Stoker 1st Class  K 13947    22
Birch, Russell Ernest  Lieutenant      24
Brown, Ernest Samuel  Stoker 1st Class  K 21761    22
Carpenter, Alec  Leading Telegraphist  J 9416    21
Chadwick, Alfred Samuel David  Able Seaman  231479    27
Connolly, Cornelius  Stoker 1st Class  K 21324    21
Deves, George Edward  Stoker 1st Class  K 19163    21
At birth Sibley, George Edward, but served as Deves, George Edward.
Egan, Frederick  Able Seaman  J 8844    21
Fitzwater, Samuel David Mitchell  Engine Room Artificer 3rd Class  271709    27
Flack, Arthur James  Leading Signalman  239733    24
Ford, Albert Edward  Leading Stoker  310468    29
Gange, Edwin Wallace  Able Seaman  J 6270    22
Greiffenhagen, Rider Maurice Waterhouse  Lieutenant      24
Harris, George Alexander  Temporary Lieutenant (RNR)      28
Hawke, Walter Hubert  Leading Seaman  237738    25
Keat, Henry  Leading Seaman  209295    33
Kelley, William Luxton  Stoker 1st Class  K 9685    22
RN DoB 01/03/1890. Actual DoB 01/03/1894
Kerswill, Cuthbert Henry  Able Seaman  235202    27
Kirby, Thomas Arthur  Able Seaman  233418    26
Lovell, Victor Harold Campbell  Chief Engine Room Artificer 2nd Class  270685    34
Maeers, Harry  Able Seaman  236964    26
Martin, Norman  Engine Room Artificer 4th Class  M 508    23
Naper, George Wyatt Edgell  Lieutenant Commander      31
Commanding Officer
Oakley, George  Stoker Petty Officer  286552    37
Rogers, Richard Henry  Petty Officer  232625    26
Scarlett, Edward  Engine Room Artificer 1st Class  271096    34
Sewell, Walter Henry  Able Seaman  227577    26
Taylor, Stephen Thomas  Stoker 1st Class  K 22859    25
RN DoB 21/02/1891. Actual DoB 21/02/1893
Trendell, Frederick Arthur  Able Seaman  J 3319    23
Watts, William John  Stoker 1st Class  K 11064    23
RN DoB 16/02/1893. Actual DoB 16/02/1894
Willcox, Ernest  Stoker 1st Class  K12550    22
At birth Clark, Ernest Fielding but served as Wilcox, Ernest
Wilson, Robert Hopkins  Engine Room Artificer 3rd Class  M 3333    26
At birth Wilson, Robert Hopkins but alsob served as Bullen, Robert Hopkins. Birth, Marriage and Service Records show Wilson, Robert Hopkins
Witchell, Walter  Stoker 1st Class  K 10223    26
Place of Birth Yeovil, Somerset but lived in Sherborne, Dorset.


09-12-1915 : Launched
10-01-1916 : Completed
07-03-1916 : E24 became the first British Mine laying Sub to begin operational mine laying in the mouth of the River Elbe.
24-03-1916 : HMS E24 disappeared

On the morning of 21st March 1916 E24 sailed from Harwich for mine-laying operations at Helegoland Bight. The submarine failed to return from this operation and was believed to have struck a mine.

In 1973 her hull was mistakenly salvaged, inspection of the hull indicated that the submarine had indeed hit a mine.


This form is for you to comment on, or add additional information to this page. Any questions will be deleted. If you wish to ask a question or otherwise contact the Branch or the Webmaster. Please use the Contact Us page or ask your question on our Facebook Page

Please insert the result of the arithmetical operation from the following image:

Please insert the result of the arithmetical operation from this image. =


Note: All submissions are subject to webmaster approval prior to appearing on the page. As a SPAM prevention measure, any comments containing links to other sites will be automatically discarded