Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Limited
Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Limited, often referred to simply as Scotts, was a Scottish shipbuilding company based in Greenock on the River Clyde. In its time in Greenock, Scotts built over 1,250 ships.
John Scott founded the company, beginning shipbuilding at Greenock in 1711. The Scott family took over the Greenock Foundry in 1790 and C G Scott started building at Cartsdyke Dockyard in 1850 as Scott & Company.
John Scott (II) and Robert Scott bought the adjacent yard of R Steele & Company in 1883 to create the Cartsburn Dockyard, which was laid out for naval shipbuilding. By 1900 John Swire & Company were major shareholders and Henry Scott was a director of Swire Scotts. In 1900–1901 he specified and oversaw construction of Swire's Taikoo Dockyard in Hong Kong. Swire's was 25% owned by the Scott Family.
In 1925 Scott's took over Ross & Marshall's Cartsdyke Mid Yard. In 1934 they exchanged their Cartsdyke East yard for Cartsdyke Mid yard with Greenock Dockyard Ltd. In June 1965 the Company took over Scott's & Sons (Bowling) Ltd and in December 1965 Scott's merged with the Greenock Dockyard Company and the Cartsburn and Cartsdyke Dockyards were fully integrated in 1966.
In 1967 the Company merged with Lithgows to form Scott Lithgow Ltd, operating as Scotts Shipbuilding Co (1969) Ltd. Scott Lithgow Ltd was absorbed into the nationalised British Shipbuilders in 1977.
Cartsdyke Shipyard was closed in 1979 and Cartsburn in 1984. In 1983 the Scott Lithgow company and yards were sold to Trafalgar House.
No further shipbuilding was undertaken and the 270-year-old Scott shipbuilding company finally ceased trading in 1993.
Between 1988 and 1997 the Cartsburn and Cartsdyke shipyards were gradually demolished and redeveloped as insurance offices, computer warehouses and fast food restaurants.