Top
Home - Boats - Yards - Sheerness Dockyard

Sheerness Dockyard

Sheerness began as a fort built in the 16th century to protect the River Medway from naval invasion. In 1665, plans were first laid by the Navy Board for a Royal Navy dockyard where warships might be provisioned and repaired, a site favored by Samuel Pepys, then Clerk of the Acts of the navy, for shipbuilding over Chatham. After the raid on the Medway in 1667, the older fortification was strengthened; in 1669 was established the Royal Navy dockyard in the town, where warships were stocked and repaired until its closure in 1960.


0 comments

These comments are not routinely monitored. If you wish to ask a question or otherwise contact the Branch or the Webmaster. Please use the Contact Us page.

Please insert the result of the arithmetical operation from the following image:

Please insert the result of the arithmetical operation from this image. =

Note: All submissions are subject to webmaster approval prior to appearing on the page. As a Spam prevention measure, Any comments containing links to other sites will be automatically discarded

Scotts (Clyde)Swan Hunter (Tyne)